Monday, April 3, 2017

The Ocean: A Poem to Self



When I am out of the ocean I am afraid of it.

I learn about it.

And despise it.

With the big fish.

That could eat you in one bite.

I think that when I actually get to the beach I won't be able to get in.

But then.

I do.

When I get there I love it.

Swimming and splashing in the waves.

Running along the sand.

I feel something and scream.

But it only turns out to be seaweed.

But then I think again.

About what could be in the depths of the sea.

Even the thought scares me to the bone.

But then I remember the sand in my eyes.

And how sharks and fish never come close to humans and I get back in.

Then I go farther than anyone else.

Maybe as an act of defiance or stupidity.

Then it is time to go home.

So I do.

And the cycle starts again.


2 comments:

  1. This is wonderful. Beautifully structured. And it made me think ... I haven't seen the ocean since I was a toddler.

    -- Ray

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww thanks!! Oh that's so sad. You should totally go to the beach and see the ocean soon. It's pretty awesome. :)

      Delete

01 09 10