Thursday, August 24, 2017

Why Successful People My Age Annoy Me (And Also Why It Shouldn't)



I've noticed something interesting about myself recently. Every time I see someone my age or just quite young who is successful (like has an album or has a song or something) I get really annoyed and just kind of sad. I'm not exactly sure why but I think this started like a couple months ago. I was looking at Time's Most Influential Teens 2016  (why I'm not sure) when it kind of clicked for me. 
I am always thinking about the future. I probably think about it a bit too much.



I am also always looking at peoples Wikipedia pages because it's a thing I like to do. This might be a problem but that is not what this post is about. When I look up like famous internet stars a lot of times they started posting at like 11 or 12 and by the age of 13-14, they became like famous with this huge fan base.


 I was at my friend's house recently and we were talking about singers and our favorite artists as of late. She was talking about GraceVanderwall and how she loves her new music. If you don't know who she is let me explain. According to Wikipedia (see) in September at the age of 12, she won America's Got Talent. Soon after that she got signed to a record label and released her first EP. At 13! She's also won a Teen Choice Award so there is that. There are a lot of stories like this about like really young people (11-14) who are doing things like writing and publishing books, launching clothing lines, and releasing albums. 


Whenever I hear stories like this I think about myself. I'm 12 and I definitely haven't won some super cool award on a tv show. I also don't have a record label or released any type of song on the internet (unless you count my two super bad covers on youtube I for some reason won't take down). I've never even appeared on tv or anything like that. 


The thing that I have to remember though is that I am a kid. I shouldn't be thinking about things like jobs and the future. I mean I am freaking 12. I am also a pretty cool 12 year old if I do say so myself. I have a blog which I keep up with consistently which is not something a lot of other people can say. Comparing yourself to other people is never good and that is a lesson and I am always learning.
This reminds of the whole "women taking other women down" thing. What people always say to that is that for you to be famous or successful it doesn't mean this other person can't be. There is room for more than one cool person on this planet. That is a lesson we all need to learn. 


This post was bit rambly and all over the place but I hope you guys liked it. The main message was just don't compare yourself to others and that there is room for more than on people to succeed. If you did enjoy this post make sure to follow my blog either using that little follower gadget on the side or Bloglovin'. I just hit 90 followers on there and I am hoping to hit 100 followers by November so if you want to help me reach that goal make sure to follow. Also while I am just telling you to follow me a bunch make sure to check out my new youtube channel as well. Do you ever find yourself comparing yourself to others? If you are around my age can you relate to what I said in this post? Do you have any fun stories about overcoming things like self-doubt? What kind of posts should I do more of? Do you think I should change my blog name (I am thinking about changing it to something involving my name)? Are you following my blog (I hope you are)? If you are new to my blog and you have your own blog make sure to comment down your blogs URL so that I can check it out. 


11 comments:

  1. Wonderful post! I felt the exact same way when I was twelve, luckily I've recently started learning to be happier in my own skin, but it definitely isn't easy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm happy someone felt the same way! Thanks for commenting. :)

      Delete
  2. I wish I could say it gets better as you get older, but once you hit your twenties it gets even weirder. Some of my elementary school classmates are married, some work full time in the supermarket, one is working for the UN and I'm a college dropout with a failed relationship. I can't help but compare myself to others constantly. Every time it gets me down I make a list of the things I did accomplish, like growing an audience on Twitter. It really helps, maybe it'll work for you too :)

    x Envy
    Lost in Translation

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Making a list of things you accomplish is seriously an awesome idea! Yeah it's hard like not to compare yourself. :)

      Delete
  3. I totally relate to this and get where you're coming from sooo much! I always felt that if I didn't get a book deal as a teen then I'd "failed"...pfft. Everyone's different. And our journeys are not the same and that's good! It is had not to be jealous sometimes at people who are super successful.😭 But I'll also just mention that I didn't start blogging till I was 16 so you're waaaay ahead of me when I was 12! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm happy you can relate! But you are right. Everyone is so vastly different that you shouldn't compare yourself to others (but it is still hard not tooo). Thanks for commenting (I am obsessed with your blog just by the way)!

      Delete
  4. Exactly! Whenever I see people like that I can't help myself from getting annoyed. I'm getting better at reminding myself what I do is great as well. Anyway, it was a great post xx https://teenagegirlscibblings.blogspot.com.au/

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can totally relate to this 100%. I look at others who are younger than me (I'm 18) and think why have I not reached that level of success? Though what helps is I keep thinking of those have achieved success later in life. Some people may start early and some may start late. Doesn't make any difference. In fact its quite possible the ones who gained success earlier in life may not be as influential later. Not everything is going to happen quickly and maybe it won't happen at all but as long as you try your best and put your message out into the universe you will do fine!
    One quote I love is "Whats the point of being alive if you don't at least TRY to do something remarkable" :)
    -Lauryn Mills
    www.ElegantChances.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That quote is so pretty! I totally agree with what you said. It's like sometimes people do things later in life and sometimes earlier and sometimes in between and it all depends. Thanks for commenting!

      Delete
  6. Being a successful businessman, actually has nothing to do with gender. Both men and women, success can be achieved depending on each individual.

    ReplyDelete

01 09 10