Friday, February 17, 2017

What is Feminism? + A 12 year old's thoughts on some other hard topics + I try to be a fairy and fail

Hello everyone! Today I have decided to post about a semi kind of controversial subject so don't kill me. This is very important to me though so I decided to share my thoughts with you all today (if you want to watch the video where I basiclly prove that this is important to me you can go to this post). I hope you enjoy. :) 


By definition Feminism is "the advocacy of women's rights on the basis of the equality of the sexes"  aka equality. That is all feminism means. It is the belief that one gender should not hold power over the other. Unlike what some other people think. Feminism has nothing to do with saying that girls are somehow better than guys. 


To me this is how I think about it. The first part of the word is fe or fem which equals female or lady or girl. The second part of this word is min which I like to think equals men or guy. And the last part of the word is ism which by definition equals "a distinctive practice, system, or philosophy, typically a political ideology or an artistic movement." I like to think put together this means the movement or practice that shows that both guys and girls are equal on all levels of the social spectrum. 


So many people get this word confused with man-hating or man-shaming or being biased against men. This is untrue.


Some people actually do get what it means but they put the word aside. This isn't my fight or why is this even a thing anymore.  And I mean hey I get there level of thinking. In america and so many developed countries where most of my readers proably live there isn't that big of a problem. True england has a lady prime minister (I feel like england seriously progressed faster than we did. They went from a monarchy to a girl president. The United States went from a democracy to a cheeto. Just saying), and true women have basicly the same opportunities as men and true we get to go to school and learn the same things as guys. All very mostly true.  


Still in our community though women are looked down upon. One example of this is on our jobs. For every I think 1 dollar that a guy makes and girl makes about 75 cents. That is 3/4 the salary of a guy. 3/4! Does not make sense.


This reminds me of an article recently that I read regarding sports. If you are into soccer you might know about the U.S women's soccer team. I was looking up there wins and statistics and they are actualy kind of amazing.  They have won 3 women's world cups and are basically one of the most successful women's soccer team like ever.  Aka they are awesome. Now let's look at the men's U.S soccer team. I am not really sure what exactly they have won. Wikipedia is being freaking confusing.  Anyway they have won much less awards and tournaments and whatnot. But now let's look at the salaries of the 2 teams. This paragraph from this article basically says it.

"The Forbes Celebrity list has a number of male soccer players, but no women. The U.S. men’s team has a player who earns $6 million from his club (Michael Bradley of Toronto FC). The maximum salary for the women in the National Women’s Soccer League is $126,000 (but the details are complicated)."


Pretty much women are still payed less. And don't even get me started on how people actually treat women. I am just saying when a person of high office gets away with calling women horrible names on tape (like they have proof) and talking about them in a disgusting manner the world is still not equal. 


Not everyone has to be a feminist or anything though. That's fine. After reading this though I want all of you guys to find a topic that you are very passionate about in our society. Maybe transgender rights, lgbt rights, education, etc. Something that you have strong feelings about and do something about it. Make a call, sign a petition, join a group, or just talk with someone. 


But while you are doing this remember people do have feelings. Something that everyone deals with and is proably not very good at is respecting other people's opinions. Some people might disagree with something you say. When they do that don't get mad because that just makes your cause look kind of bad. Instead say that you respect their opinions. Everyone has a different vantage point and were raised differently. 


I love all of my readers and people who comment on my blog so much and I hope you guys remember that. Every single thought that you had while reading this I want you to please please comment down below. Thank you!

14 comments:

  1. What is the value of a woman? To someone who loves her, to her husband, her children, she's priceless. She's the center of the universe. She's EVERYTHING.

    One of the terrible sins of the society we live in is the denial of the true value of ALL labor. This is true for both men and women. But, no properly run business depends on theft motivated by greed. To make a change we have to think differently. We must refuse to accept the idea that property rules labor.

    Now, more than ever before, our liberty is in peril! Defend it with all your might. By thought, word and deed.

    -- Ray

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think that this is you agreeing with me and I agree with your comment. We do need to think differently about the world and we have to defend our liberty. Thanks for commenting!

      Delete
    2. I did sort of veer away from the subject, didn't I? Sorry about that. You made some excellent points.

      Of course I agree with you. Equal pay for equal work SHOULD be the law. The Sally Ledbetter Act (which the last real President signed into law) was supposed to help. The problem is that it requires enforcement that Republicans have blocked.

      What evil is done in government now can't stop you. The tyrants and con men will pass into history. You can be and do anything. Plan for a future of equality and dignity for all. Then accept nothing less.

      -- Ray

      Delete
    3. Haha it's fine. Thanks! Sometimes I don't even get how anyone would ever want to block something like that.

      Ok I am blown away by your last 3 sentences right now. Can I quote you on that? Do you have a blog by the way?

      Delete
  2. i totally, 100% agree.
    personally, i'm a male-to-female transgender, and it's tough. since i was born as a male, let's say i get a job at like... mcdonald's or chick-fil-a or something, and then one of my friends (who is a girl) gets hired at the same job, and she gets paid less than me??? like???? what??? the??? heck??? don't?? we?? all?? deserve?? to?? be?? equal?????
    it kind if makes no sense to me.
    and all of those rape cases on tv involving women? like, porquoi? (<--ignore my french, that means "why" in french.)
    i probably blew up your comment section lol sorry. xD
    ~izzy
    (btw can i do a post like this on my blog? i'll give you credit btw.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ok I didn't know you were transgender. That is so awesome. It doesn't make sense to me either! Like why??? would???? that?? even?? be?? a?? thing??? that girls get paid less.

      Yeah the rape thing just makes me sad. Like for some reason people think that they can do that. Not cool. Not cool. Not cool.

      You can blow up my comments section whenever you like (I am quite happy when that happens actually). Oh I would love for you to do a post like this on your blog. I love to see other people's thoughts and yeah you just have to give me credit. Thanks for commenting!

      Delete
  3. You have a wonderfully diverse group of readers. Everyone seems well-behaved, except maybe for that guy who over-shares his anger about "Our Dear Leader" (sorry about that, I'll reign it in). I know you're intelligent(very) but whenever you're communicating with teens and adults(like me), parents need to be involved and watching. I can't believe they aren't reading this blog and proud of your work, but in that unlikely event, get them on as readers (and commenters too!).

    Celebrate diversity! The only thing we really have in common is that we are all unique.

    -- Ray

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do have a very diverse group of readers. It makes me quite happy. I am happy that you think I am intelligent and I think that parents reading this blog would be cool. My blog is more addressed to a younger audience is the thing. Is there a reason in particular that parents should be reading this blog (sorry I am not disagreeing with you)?

      That is so true! Every single human being on this planet is different. Thanks for commenting!

      Delete
    2. I suppose what I really want to do is tell them how much I admire them for teaching you good values. It seems that all the young women I know were raised by wolves ... or worse, Republicans.

      Delete
    3. My parents do read my blog and they taught me everything I know (they are very actively political. It is pretty cool). Lol. Raised by wolves or republicans. Interesting. That sentence literally just made me laugh out loud I am not kidding. Thank you for making me laugh. :)

      Delete
  4. I personally feel like feminism has gotten to a point politically where it is all about abortion :( that is actually kinda SAD. Partly because abortion is a choice a man should have a say in since it is his baby also ( I will not go into the biology of childbirth cause thats not nessecary unless you want me to go into it.) I see things from a conservative point and in America we have the freedoms to do many thingds, regardless of gender. Like when it comes to jobs and gender, i'd ALWAYS choose the worker who is working the hardest, REGRADLESS of gender when promoting a person. It should in a dieal society, things should be merit based in the workplace. Men and Women should get paid euqally, if I owned a Business that wouldd be the way i'd do things. Politically, i'd vote for whoever I believe should be in office, regardless of race, gender, etc. I believe in equal rights, but I just wish womens rights movements did not focus so much on abortion. I don't want to go there cause it is a whole different alley itself.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I actually have a cause I support. I really care about mental illness. I am really passionate about mental illness, stigma, hatred, etc. Nobody represents mental illness or developmental illnesses much in the U.S. Gov't. My dream is for there to be a U.S. Representative or Senator from some state who has the same values as me AND, like me, suffers from mental or developmental illness. In the world news, all we hear about mental illnesses is a picture painted that all people with mental illness are dangerous. I was diagnosed when I was young, and inherited Bipolar II Genetically. It's something I believe is ignored. Mental health period is ignored often. People hurt, and nothing being done about mental health is not helping. I would love it if legislation was passed that funded more studying for a cure for mental illnesses. I spend my time trying to help people who who are mentally ill or have gone through a lot deal with their problems and help them when they need me, and try to give them hope to keep living. I signed up for a suicide text line network where if I get work there, I will be saving lives. With everything going on, it is hard to notice those who have to hide their illness. I'm open book about my story so it can be a example to others struggling that they can do it. Media paints a picture that all mentally ill people are mass killers, which is not accurate. There is nobody who will stand up and raise their voice other than me, which is a pain. I help and show love to the hurting and in pain. there is only ONE solution politically to this problem. It is something people from both political parties need to, and durn sure are able to, work together over. Liberalism ignores mental illness completly unless they need a reason to make gun laws, and making gun laws that target mentally ill folks as a whole is discrimination , the rights of a American are stripped, and worse off, it sends off the mentally ill people are all violent stigma. Ultra conservatives still preach that mental illness is sinful. So that leaves people with mental illness cases that ain't too severe in a rut, because they become victims. Victims of a society that could care less, but one of individual people who do care about each other despite their mental health. I'll never be healed. Many people will never be healed. That's reality. But I do whatever God has given the power for me to do, to serve Him by saving the lives of others who struggle with mental illness.

    ReplyDelete
  6. My voice may never be heard in congress, but I will fight for those who are losing their fights and nobody seems to care about. Nabia, my story is a very long one so i don't want to go through it, but I hope you get an idea on who I am and what maters to me, which is what most people ignore.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm political but i'd be probably on the whole other side of the spectrum than you. I am a conservative but don't identify officially with what political party i vote for. I feel like if everyone looked each other in the eye and started agreeing on one thing or another, America would not be so divided. I don't want you to beat me up or whatever for not being liberal thus why I ain't sharing views that are not liberal.

    ReplyDelete

01 09 10