Saturday, April 8, 2017

I Am Normal



Normal means ordinary.

Sometimes I think of myself as too normal.

As if it is a bad thing.

I am 12.

I live in the U.S in a big city.

I have my own bed and my family is middle class.

I go to school and get pretty good grades.

I'm white and both of my parents have stable jobs.

I live in a good neighborhood.

I'm super lucky and I am very thankful for my life.

I am into things like acting and singing and blogging.

I am not that good at them though.

I don't have many defining qualities or achievements or hobbies.

I'm not that great at anything.

I'm just me.

Lots of people have those qualities.

Those hobbies.

Those achievements.

They go to places after school and actually practice those things.

There part of a dance studio.

Or they have their art in an exhibit.

Me?

I walk home every day and watch youtube and occasionally talk to the internet.

I have been thinking about this a lot lately.

My "normalness".

And I realized something.

That's not a thing.

And never has been.

Every single person has unique features that make them who they are.

Every single person is different in their own way.

But when I type that.

I think about how cheesy it sounds.

And I am like.

Do I really believe that?

The anwser is probably not.

But I am trying.

Because truly I do have interests and hobbies and all of those things.

I love photography and a bunch of other stuff.

I'm me and I'm pretty normal.

I haven't gone through an earthquake or met the president or anything.

But am I not sad about that.

Not really.

Now here's a question I have for you.

What defines you?

12 comments:

  1. Preach! I agree with this hardcore. I think that it's important to remember that there are very few 'special' people in the world. The important thing is to focus on our passions and interests. Great point. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so happy that you agree! I think lots of people, me included need to remember that. That you're proably not going to be the queen of the world but you do have special things about you. Thanks for commenting!

      Delete
  2. I agree with this! Thank you for writing this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Totally! Thank you for reading the post. :)

      Delete
  3. Nabila, you are anything but ordinary. I'll say it again - Define your goals and you will achieve them. Dream and be brave enough to share your dreams so that family and friends can help.

    You have some very impressive followers here. Example: Asha M. seems interesting. She might be a good source of ideas for future posts and videos.

    -- Ray

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ray! I do have impressive followers and I love Asha's blog.

      Delete
  4. I really like your poems, Nabila. You don't focus too hard on using flowery language, so they easily get their point across. I think that poetry is something you could get really good at, if you wanted to.

    "What defines you?" I read once that a good answer to that question is "Nothing. Definition excludes the possibility of change."

    -Loren

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so happy that you like my poetry Loren! I am not the most peoetic person in the whole world so I am not that great at making words rhyme or sound all that good but I do try to make my words mean something. I think I am going to start practicing more with poetry.

      Thanks for commenting!

      Delete
  5. You asked "What defines you?"

    My work. I'm a mathematician (Topos theory and Symplectic Mechanics).

    My Christian faith. I often wonder if many who call themselves "Christian" wouldn't be horrified were they to ever actually read the Gospels.

    My weird and sadly unappreciated sense of humor. It's dark though well-intentioned.

    -- Ray

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's so cool that you work with math. I kind of hate math so I admire people who like it.

      Well I find your humor quite funny at times. Thanks for commenting!

      Delete
  6. This is a wonderful piece of writing! Amazing job!

    xx Bubbles

    ReplyDelete

01 09 10